"So you know what you're going to say?"
Chervais looked down at the squat form, sitting behind the piled shapes that served for a desk, sucking at a damp cigar.
"I was thinking I could just tell the truth."
There was an explosion from somewhere outside, and the gondola rocked sickeningly for a moment. Chervais imagined the view outside, the gondola suspended like a parasite from the vast flock of harnessed geese, the bulbous airplanes that flew by now and then in slow irrational dogfights, the oddly glowing ground over which they passed, trees in the shape of nightmare reaching toward the starless sky.
The other grabbed at the desk automatically, and looked up.
"First, no one would believe you," he stubbed the cigar on some component of the desk, which grudgingly caught fire, "and second, it's not allowed."
"I don't think you have any way to enforce that."
The big bloodshot eye rolled in its socket. "That's a dangerous thing to assume."
Chervais sighed and looked down at his hand, colorless and insubstantial. "All right," he said, "first I became aware of myself floating upward, then I turned and saw my body lying on the bed."
The other just nodded, the eye staring.
"Then there was this intense light, and I found myself moving toward it --"
"The calmness," the other cut in.
"Right, right, there was this great feeling of calm, and I was moving up this tunnel toward the light, and there was this ethereal music and a great feeling of," he made a sound, involuntarily, with his mouth, "of love, and a gentle voice, telling me I had to return."
The squat cyclops grunted. "Ya still got some work to do on attitude, but I like that 'ethereal'. Keep it up."
Somewhere outside there was another explosion, as a cargo helicopter full of cheese plummeted from the sky.
- The Sims 3!!! (I had no idea.)
- From Mike Gunderloy, the Ultimate Social Network!
- From WordURL, our puzzling site o' the day; explanations most welcome.
- Know Your Meme, with videos, from the ol' Rocketboom folks (see also Meme Patrol).
- Google Maps In Second Life! For some reason!
- Something pretty cool from Charles Stross.
- The amazing SL Desktop City whose amazing creator is a personal friend (he said proudly)
- Another thing that's 'way more fun than it should be: Virtual Sailing (as a form of meditation).
- I was sad that the reading level of this weblog was only High School; I was hoping for, like, "Enormous-Headed Supervillian". I should use bigger words.
- Speaking of Chicken Chickens Chicken (which I think I was), here's the short version of The Big Lebowski (v funny)
- And yet again from Ian: the very clever do not reply dot com (explanation); they get lots of mail!
The little daughter has now been accepted by four out of nine Expensive Institutions of Higher Learning an' Pizza, and rejected by zero. Admittedly it's four of the easy ones, but still: woot!
I've developed what I hope is a passing addiction to Twitter, but it's under the name of my SL avatar, so rather than linking to it directly I'll let you do the research yourself. *8)
Be good! Improve the universe.